Free School Meals
Free School Meals and Early Years Pupil Premium
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
By being registered for free school meals/early years pupil premium, your school will receive extra funding.
Free School Meals for Reception to Year 2
Infant age children in reception to year 2 are entitled to a meal free of charge under a government scheme called universal infant free school meals, but your school needs you to register to enable them to receive the additional funding.
Your child does not need to take the meal if you would prefer them not to, but by being registered your school will still receive the extra funding.
If you are eligible, you will retain your eligibility until the end of your child’s current phase of education even if your circumstances change.
Pupil Premium is funding of £1,320 per year to help your child.
Early Years Pupil Premium for Nursery age children
This is additional funding of up to £302 available to the nursery to help your child. The registration form will be checked again when your child starts school to confirm eligibility for free school meals.
How to apply
You can apply online quickly and simply by clicking on the link below.
You can also:
You can scan and email your completed form back to:
- FreeSchoolMeals@walsall.gov.uk or send it into us.
- Or you can get a free school meals application form from either your child(ren)’s school or the Benefits Service at the First Stop Shop, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall,WS1 1XU – by calling in person or telephoning us on 0300 555 2855.